Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Prayer



My favorite day of the year. Without qualification, Thanksgiving was always the day that I looked forward to. It represented the pinnacle of familial unity and intimacy. The Norman Rockwell image of Family around the dinner table was my ideal. (And, as an avowed Idealist, this was, for me, no small matter.) [smile]

Hence, when I purchased dining room furnishings, I selected the most accommodating dining table offered by the good folk at Ethan Allen. Substantial English oak and an ability to be expanded to a size that would welcome the entire family was my goal.

And on that annual day of feasting and celebrating, I happily assumed the role of turkey baker/carver, and Host.
Then, as we all sat around that grand table laden with magnificent treats and culinary treasures, we would hold hands … bow our heads … and one by one, offer each of our individual statements of prayerful gratitude for our blessings.

Thus it was on that particular Thanksgiving when we were additionally blessed with Matthew … sitting there, between myself and his mother … in his high-chair, and filled with wonder at the presence of an altogether unusual energy and spirit in his home.

His mother followed my reading of a scripture appropriate to the occasion with her start to our Thanksgiving Prayer. Then her Dad, Mother, Brother-in-Law, Sister, and back to me for my benedictory closing. But then, after my “Amen,” there filled the reverent silence, another voice … “M-i-c” … I lifted my head and looked. We all looked. Save Matthew, whose head was still bowed … hands folded in prayer … “k-e-y”. I looked at the others; shrugged; nodded; and we all joined him in his “M-o-u-s-e.” Then Matt lifted his head in complete solemnity and quietude … having offered his contribution of the most reverential and worshipful expression that his darling little soul knew.

And, My Dear Friend and Reader, I fully believe to this day that all of Heaven was stilled and blessed by that dear young Soul’s fervent prayer that day. For I remembered then … and still do … the verse of scripture that teaches us that “Unless you come in the innocent spirit of a little child, you will never know the kingdom of Heaven.”

I lovingly bid you … each and every beautiful One of you … a day of sweet, harmonious joy in the bosom of those with whom you share Love.

Happy Thanksgiving Day Dear One. I do, indeed, love you.



A Post-Script Note: In response to inquiries by some who are not familiar with the Mickey Mouse Club 'Alma Mater' (that Matthew was singing on that far-removed Thanksgiving Day) ... Here 'tis ...



(I will never tire of the many memories stirred by that song ... And I think that you can readily sense the reverent spirit that Matt felt appropriate to our prayerful moment. I hope that you enjoyed it!)


16 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing John-Michael it made my heart lift and caused a smile.... blessings Denise xx

~Sharon said...

I loved my Mickey Mouse ears. Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful memory. :)
~Sharon

Betsy Brock said...

What a sweet story. If my boys were verbal, I'm sure Thomas the Tank Engine would be high on their list of things for which to be thankful!

I love Thanksgiving...it's the only holiday which hasn't been commercialized...so wonderful1

John-Michael said...

All of my love is winging its way across The Pond to you, Denise, My Precious Friend. How you do thrill me with your Presence!

Lovingly ...

John-Michael said...

You, Precious Sharon, are one who encouraged me to add the 'post script' that offers a revisit to those "Mouse Ears." I hope that you enjoy the reminiscence.

Lovin' Ya' ...

John-Michael said...

Betsy, dear, Lovely Gift to my life, you still my heart with your visitation! For you and the warm serenity that you bring to my heart, I, again, give thanks to Life.

In grateful adoration ...

Suza said...

Amen, sweetie, Amen. And may I wish you a full and wonderful day of blessings and love.

Suzanne

John-Michael said...

Thank you, Suzanne, my Treasured Friend.

It has been a completely (though solitary) lovely day.

My Love to you ...

Diversity said...

Happy Thanksgiving x

John-Michael said...

From my little cottage in Tampa Florida ... across that little Pond ... to you, Dear Diversity there, in East Surrey ... I send a heart-felt "Thank You!" for your kind wishes.

Lovingly ...

John-Michael said...

Something from a treasured place in my heart ... I wanted to share with you, Dear Friend Casdok.

Fondly ...

San said...

Happy Thanksgiving, retroactively, John-Michael.

This is a lovely, heartfelt post.

Dawn said...

Hi. I love the M-I-C-K-E-Y!

We had the whole family sitting around the dining room table at my parent's house this week. It wasn't as "Norman Rockwell" as I would like but then again...that was a quiet painting with no sound and movement, right?!

As always, each member of the family have had their challenges this year and continue to have challenges to stop criticizing and just be. Thanks for teaching me that lesson so many years ago.

It's taken time for me to understand and absorb it into my life...but I am closer than ever before. Thank you! What a gift.

And yes, we remembered you at our thanksgiving table. I told how many mornings I would drive 75 miles to my first (Physical Therapy Client) appointment of the day (your Matthew), to be greeted by you and your delivery of a coffee for me! Thank you for all your acts of generosity and teachings.

And I'm so glad to be home with MY family that I have created in an environment that we enjoy. Have a peaceful day. --dawn

Carole said...

Once again, you have done such a wonderful job with your descriptive message.

I hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving stuffed with blessings!

lime said...

this just makes me smile. so sweet. only a hard heart would not smile at this.

Suldog said...

Oh, how I wish I had come here earlier than today. That's a laugh and a tug at the heart that would do anyone good, and the earlier I would have come upon it the longer I would have had in my life to enjoy it.

I hope all of the holiday season holds wonders and treasured memories for you this year, John-Michael.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.