Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The First of More than One

When my son was diagnosed as having Cerebral Palsy, I had a lot to consider. All that I was... all that I understood... all that life represented to me was, in that moment, irrevocably and eternally obliterated. There was no person to whom I could go to discuss the ramifications of this life-altering circumstance. No mentor, guide, counselor, nor advisor was present. I could not share my confusion; my dismay; my grief; my fear; nor my ignorance with anyone. I was completely alone in my situation.

The setting that I found for my deliberations and considerations of what I must do; who I must be; how I must proceed was a small art shop wherin I allowed my soul to find its refuge and solice through hours spent in the solitary exercise of losing myself in racks of art prints.






In those prints I escaped the pressures of immediate life demands.












I soared to heights of distant perspectives



I found a refuge from the cacophony of immediate necessities.


Those images provided lanes and paths of possibilities that I would not have known within the confines of my natural world.

The time spent with those renderings of places, people, environs, and worlds free of the pressing torments of my responsibilities... gave my spirit license to contemplate perspectives beyond my own experience.





And, to carry those moments with me into my natural world, I purchased and had framed several of those works that surround me, in my little cottage, at this very moment of recollection... and still afford me the gift of moments of quiet consideration.





So... for the last, approximately, one and one-half minutes, My Dear Reader, I have shared that therapy of refreshment with you. I have structured, for your benefit, all that you have seen and read thus far, to provide a sample of just such a moment of consideration for you in the hope that you will recognize the calmness and serenity that lies at your doorstep... if you will but permit yourself the renewal of being in a place of apartness from all that demands your attention. And, in segments to follow, I will explore, with and for you, further, this matter of "moments of consideration."

But, for now, I respectfully invite you to "Be still and know" what your own "still small, inner voice" has been trying to whisper to you in this moment. As I remain your faithfully loving Friend and Servant,

John-Michael


ALL IMAGES through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your bliss and your way to peace.

Anonymous said...

Michael, a friend of mine has a grandson who just yesterday was diagnosed with CP....and he's 3 y/o! Poor guy has been through a lot and they dealing both with the diagnosis and the fact that it wasn't made when he was born and was having all of his breathing issues. He had to be intubated and, eventually, a tracheotomy (which was just removed). Now they understand his gait when he walks, the way he holds his arms and the tilt of his head. If I may ask from you any resources you might offer that would assist them. You have my e-mail address if you can offer some suggestions, my dear cousin. Blessings to you!

Laura

John-Michael said...

My Darling ~Sharon...I am blessed, satisfied, and pleased in the knowledge that some part of Me shared is of some purpose and has some merit in your life. Thank you for making me welcome.

John-Michael said...

My precious cousin Laura... I have published your plea, and my response for the benefit of any and all who may know the same pain and anguish known to your friend. I know of no specific resource that speaks to their myriad of present needs. I most certainly do offer myself and my experience as a ready and available resource for them, you, and any others to whom I may be of any service, encouragement, or solace. I am so proud to have a cousin with a heart for others... You encourage and bless me! (Please access me through the Email links provided to the right of the messages)

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.