Monday, January 22, 2007

Revisiting Life's 'Sweet Shoppe' People

There are few places, in the course of our lives’ travels, where we enter in with the foreknowledge and predisposition that we are there for the express purpose of indulgent fun and pleasure. The Sweet Shop (also known as the “Candy Store” [or, equally, the Bakery]) is, without question, one of these special places. Even the anticipation accompanying the opening of that door brings a moment of giddy delight. Then, when I immerse myself in the surrounding sensory overload of fragrances, colors, shapes, and possibilities I find that I can be quite sated with just the experience of presence alone (though I, admittedly, never stop at that.)

And so it is with some of the “Sweet Shop People” in my life. These are individuals who stir a smile at even the notice of their name in my address book. A momentary consideration of all of the treats incumbent to their individuality brings a delight not unlike that momentary giddiness (yes, even in the soul of a crusty old relic like me) at the door of the Sweet Shop. And, then, in the environment that surrounds contact with them, I am brought to a completeness of satisfaction that begs neither activity, nor exchange beyond that gift of that visitation.



So it is that (as I listened to my quiet Inner Voice today), I heard a reminder of that treasure that is my life’s assortment of “Sweet Shop People.” And then, a sense of urgency to bring this thought to you, My Very Dear Reader. Take a look about you… spend a moment in reflection over that cup of coffee, or during that boring meeting or class (you didn’t hear it here), or with your own address book… and relish an appreciation of your own Sweet Shop People. Then give your heart license to respond to that appreciation in some way (a phone call: “I appreciate you”; a potted plant sent w/a note of appreciation; a passing squeeze of a shoulder or other gesture of acknowledgement.) Open your heart’s window of expression to the beautiful light of opportunity. Present a “Sweet Shop Moment” to that person.

Indulge your Soul’s “Sweet Tooth.”


IMAGES through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

1 comment:

Sharon Schoepe said...

Thank you for reposting this. It has always been one of my favorites.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.