Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Of Words, Language, and Being



I have had, for some while now, the words of Gandhi, at the head of my blog. His statement “We must be the change we wish to see in the world.” shapes my intentions for my life. And he accomplished this, not only with his actions, but primarily with his words. His words have shaped change in lives and nations from his first utterances to this very day. I attempt to see his message through the interpretive perspective of my own Spirit … and share the resulting thoughts with you, here.

Words, when hitched together by the bonds of my Intention, Inclination, Imagination, and Inspiration … become the Language of my Self. I demonstrate what lies deep within my Being. I display, for my immediate audience, an unfolding image of what I desire to be known as, and how I wish to be perceived. Even within the gaps, the pauses, and some rare, staunch declarations … I reveal my uncertainties, while testing my prevailing suppositions.

The colours and brush-strokes applied to this canvas (my Self), are all created with the tone and particulars of the language that I employ. And the entirety of the work is showcased within a framework of my spirit. Whatever my portrait, however I am introduced, is understood and interpreted by the hearts, minds, and Spirits of Listeners, Readers, and Observers, within the definitions of my Spiritual Frame. This is the “Be”ing that Gandhi is referring to. He is telling me that if I want to change the tone, spirit, and context of my minute part of the World, then I must “Be” the embodiment of whatever kindness, respect, generosity, grace, gentleness, and Yes! even niceness, that I would desire to affect upon my World.

Intellectual content, technical detail, theological persuasion, academic insight, humorous perspective, romantic sensitivities, political convictions, and even neighbourly consideration operate within this framework of our demonstrated Character.

I can be enlightened by grand profundities delivered by an angry man, yet be more impressed and affected by his unfortunate choice of Character, than by the weight of the monumental message that he speaks. I can be profoundly stirred by the gentle Grace of a humble person sharing the most rudimentary of thoughts or comforted by a sweet, caring Soul who has nothing more to offer than, “I am so sorry!” All of the philosophical, religious, and even physical Truths, delivered by an unsympathetic voice leave me with neither relief nor solace. The “right” words or answers, spoken by an unkind Spirit, are easily discarded in favour of “no answers at all” offered by the One who is willing to be open to the vulnerabilities innate to being Nice. That person is brave, courageous, and infinitely more effective in their ministrations.

So, my friend, I offer this, my little blog, not as a source of answers, revelations, pontifications, or enlightenment. But simply as a spot where folks can say an occasional “Ahhh … that’s nice” or “Whew! I needed this little break!” A respite from whatever is pulling and tugging at their Spirit. A place to not have to think too much … to just be still and smile for a moment. A tiny harbour that offers some relief from the buffeting of life’s daily demands. And this I try to do with some thoughts that seem to me to be good. Some images that spark nice feelings and emotions to bring a smile, a sigh, or a tiny chiming within your Being. I offer whatever I have stumbled upon in the hope that I can lessen someone else’s “stumblings.” In this way, I am consciously Being “Nice,” because (in keeping with what Gandhi said) Nice is the change that I would see in the world. The very idea of a Nice World makes me feel good!

I hope that my relaying this brings us closer and makes our fleeting moments more comfortable and enjoyable … and your journey easier and more fun.

Namaste




Edited by N. Suzanne

10 comments:

aims said...

How true are your words when you say that the words from someone who doesn't mean them - mean nothing.

Those ones are easy to spot aren't they? Shame on them!

Love your willingness to love the world no matter what.

You are a good good man JM.

John-Michael said...

Our sweet Friendship, and the kinship of Spirit that we enjoy, is the rich spice that makes living, a treasured joy for me, My Darling Aims.

You bless my Heart!

Lovingly ...

postergrrl said...

How serendipitous to come across your blog! I just had an amazing conversation with a friend last night about the power of our words, how they become expressions of our intentions and manifest into the world. I look forward to reading more ofyour blog!

Kim

Suldog said...

I read your kind and loving words and wonder about my own. I just did a whole post concerned with calling people... well, exits from the posterior accoutrement. I like to think that folks reading it would notice that I included myself in the grouping, but still...

You amaze me, often.

John-Michael said...

My World just grew! I just added a new chamber to my Heart. And it has the name, "Kimberly Drever" on its door. And it is a place of light and happiness. I am so very blessed!

Thank You Kim, for this lovely Gift. I am delighted in the prospect of our growing Friendship.

Namaste

John-Michael said...

My Darling SulDog Friend, and Brother ...
You, in particular, and specifically, were the prominent object of the conversation (on the telephone with my Dear Friend and Confidante, N. Suzanne) that lead to my writing this little reflection. Your amazingly beautiful gift of teasing, titillating, probing, prodding, and tickling with your hilarious array of linguistic tools and implements ... while always allowing your lovely care and respect for, and interest in, your Reader ... prompted us (in our phone chat) to repeatedly remark on how "nice," and genuinely "good," a Person you are. You amaze and thrill! And I am so very much in awe of Who you are ... and the amazing talent that you are gifted with ... and your generosity in sharing with your world. How could I not love the bejeebies out of You, Jim?!

You bless me ... always!

nitebyrd said...

John-Michael, your words and pictures are like a balm or a treasured teddy-bear. They always comfort, give me moments of deep thought, a giggle or a smile. They are always welcome and always appreciated.

John-Michael said...

Each time that you and I visit, Darling NiteByrd, I enjoy a very real sense of holding hands, and savouring a slow walk, down a shady path, through a lovely garden spot. And I allow myself to stop and let the moment last as long as possible! Such is your Presence with me.

Lovingly ...

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Lovely words and thoughts, John-Michael. Always a pleasure to ready you!
Peace, Judi

John-Michael said...

And, please accept my loving "Thank You!", My Dear Judi FitzPatrick, for your Sweet Spirit's visit with me.

Lovingly ...

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.