Friday, February 20, 2009

A Two-Year-Old's Morning



Through the prism of one tiny Dew Drop,

She discovers the spectrum of a new day’s Sun.
Her perspective … the same height as the Plant’s,
She is perfectly focused on Wonders unseen to me.

Introduced, by my Dad, to the ‘Night crawler’ Worm,
She boldly takes its wriggling, squirming Form in fingertip hold.
Then, to the shock and disgust of all of the ‘Grown-ups,’
She examines it further … with a bite.

Made aware of the individual character of Leaves,
She touches each, in turn … Plant by Plant.
Noting; some jagged, some smooth … rigid, soft.
And the Nursery becomes a Place of diverse wonder.

Such is a day’s exploration of Life and her World.
Such is the opening of awareness and consciousness.
In the eyes and sensitivities of this delicate Beauty …
As this two-year-old embraces Living ... and Life.


6 comments:

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Ah, youth, so precious in its short duration. Yet, when we are there, we can't wait to be where we are now.
Great post, thanks for sharing.
Peace, Judi

lime said...

a child's wonder is a thing of beauty....(until teeth meet grub .gaaaah!) how well you've captured the magic.

John-Michael said...

On one of our shared mornings, I stopped at a road-side display of playhouses for sale. She was thrilled to be able to enter each small-scale 'house' whilst I was far too large for entry. We played little games through the windows that she giggled through. It was a wonderful moment! I am glad that I can share it with you, Dear Judi.

Lovingly ...

John-Michael said...

Ah yes! The worm moment was a BIG surprise, Lime. My Dad thought that he would do the "scare the kid" thing with his cultivated fishing worms (he was so proud of growing them in his compost piles.) Then when my little day-care Charge bit it in half, my Mom gasped and Dad went wide-eyed. I insisted that everyone keep a non-committal demeanor, while we watched in horror. The child studied the flavour/texture, and shook her head in disapproval and threw the remaining half back into the compost heap. Ugh!

Love Ya, Dear Friend ...

Tess Kincaid said...

Hello, dear friend! Thanks for your kind words over at my place.

Lovely poem. This must be the theme of my evening! I just watched "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" and am feeling very grateful to be alive and well in this beautiful world.

John-Michael said...

You, Darling Willow, are a beautifying Presence in my Life. And I am so grateful for your being such a lovely part of my World.

Loving You ...

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.