Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Human Perspective

Without commentary ... I feel compelled to share what Sharon A. was thoughtful enough to share with me ...

Friday Mornings at the Pentagon


By JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY McClatchy Newspapers

Over the last 12 months, 1,042 soldiers, Marines, sailors and Air Force personnel have given their lives in the terrible duty that is war. Thousands more have come home on stretchers, horribly wounded and facing months or years in military hospitals.

This week, I'm turning my space over to a good friend and former roommate, Army Lt. Col. Robert Bateman, who recently completed a year-long tour of duty in Iraq and is now back at the Pentagon. Here's Lt. Col. Bateman's account of a little-known ceremony that fills the halls of the Army corridor of the Pentagon with cheers, applause and many tears every Friday morning. It first appeared on May 17 on the Weblog of media critic and pundit Eric Alterman at the Media Matters for America Website.

"It is 110 yards from the "E" ring to the "A" ring of the Pentagon. This section of the Pentagon is newly renovated; the floors shine, the hallway is broad, and the lighting is bright. At this instant the entire length of the corridor is packed with officers, a few sergeants and some civilians, all crammed tightly three and four deep against the walls. There are thousands here.

This hallway, more than any other, is the `Army' hallway. The G3 offices line one side, G2 the other, G8 is around the corner. All Army. Moderate conversations flow in a low buzz. Friends who may not have seen each other for a few weeks, or a few years, spot each other, cross the way and renew. Everyone shifts to ensure an open path remains down the center. The air conditioning system was not designed for this press of bodies in this area. The temperature is rising already. Nobody cares.

"10:36 hours: The clapping starts at the E-Ring. That is the outermost of the five rings of the Pentagon and it is closest to the entrance to the building. This clapping is low, sustained, hearty. It is applause with a deep emotion behind it as it moves forward in a wave down the length of the hallway.

"A steady rolling wave of sound it is, moving at the pace of the soldier in the wheelchair who marks the forward edge with his presence. He is the first. He is missing the greater part of one leg, and some of his wounds are still suppurating. By his age I expect that he is a private, or perhaps a private first class.

"Captains, majors, lieutenant colonels and colonels meet his gaze and nod as they applaud, soldier to soldier. Three years ago when I described one of these events, those lining the hallways were somewhat different. The applause a little wilder, perhaps in private guilt for not having shared in the burden... yet.

"Now almost everyone lining the hallway is, like the man in the wheelchair, also a combat veteran. This steadies the applause, but I think deepens the sentiment. We have all been there now. The soldier's chair is pushed by, I believe, a full colonel.

"Behind him, and stretching the length from Rings E to A, come more of his peers, each private, corporal, or sergeant assisted as need be by a field grade officer.

"11:00 hours: Twenty-four minutes of steady applause. My hands hurt, and I laugh to myself at how stupid that sounds in my own head. My hands hurt. Please! Shut up and clap. For twenty-four minutes, soldier after soldier has come down this hallway - 20, 25, 30. Fifty-three legs come with them, and perhaps only 52 hands or arms, but down this hall came 30 solid hearts.

They pass down this corridor of officers and applause, and then meet for a private lunch, at which they are the guests of honor, hosted by the generals. Some are wheeled along. Some insist upon getting out of their chairs, to march as best they can with their chin held up, down this hallway, through this most unique audience. Some are catching handshakes and smiling like a politician at a Fourth of July parade. More than a couple of them seem amazed and are smiling shyly.

"There are families with them as well: the 18-year-old war-bride pushing her 19-year-old husband's wheelchair and not quite understanding why her husband is so affected by this, the boy she grew up with, now a man, who had never shed a tear is crying; the older immigrant Latino parents who have, perhaps more than their wounded mid-20s son, an appreciation for the emotion given on their son's behalf. No man in that hallway, walking or clapping, is ashamed by the silent tears on more than a few cheeks. An Airborne Ranger wipes his eyes only to better see. A couple of the officers in this crowd have themselves been a part of this parade in the past.

These are our men, broken in body they may be, but they are our brothers, and we welcome them home. This parade has gone on, every single Friday, all year long, for more than four years.

"Did you know that?

The media hasn't yet told the story. And probably never will."


9 comments:

aims said...

This story needs to be spread far and wide!

Watching from this country - we shake our heads in amazement at how many wounded and dead have come back to your shores.

Now we are starting to experience it ourselves - and the heartbreak is really beyond belief.

Thank you JM for posting this.

John-Michael said...

If only the mingling of my tears with yours could serve as a healing balm for our world, my Dearest Aims ...

In Love ...

Suldog said...

As the old saw goes, Freedom is never free. Have a very happy and safe Independence Day, John-Michael!

John-Michael said...

Thank Goodness, Friendship costs only Willingness and Agreement ... but pays dividends of riches beyond measure. I am so glad that I have found the Treasure of Friendship in you, SulDog. Our Friendship is a constant blessing to my life.

'Love Ya, Jim.

SandraRee said...

This is a hard post for me to read. Solid hearts, yes indeed.

Hope you have a wonderful and safe 4th, John-Michael!

Hugs

John-Michael said...

Thoughts of You, My Dear Sandra gave me considerable pause when considering whether or not to post this. Then, concern for You, still, gave me thoughts of removing it. My Heart is with you and my admiration for you is deep. My prayers for you both (You and Son) are constant.

Lovingly ...

Kissing of the Frogs said...

John-Michael,
I wish everyone could read this. Thank you for sharing with us. I've missed you my friend. Sorry, I'm having serious internet troubles at home....checking in from my sister's house. Hope you're having a great weekend!
Hugs,
Rose

John-Michael said...

You (and your sweet HUGS) have been missed, Dear Rose. I am pleased that you appreciated this offering. I have a strong sense of our need for a respectful honoring of all who are impacted by conflicts on our small globe.

Loving you ...

Cath said...

Did I not comment here last time I came? I do that sometimes - I forget.

This is very poignant and worth knowing. I agree with Suldog - Freedom is ALWAYS at a price. Imho sometimes that price is too high.

Great post.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.