Thursday, July 27, 2006

What School Are You In?

Here is a simple “handle” for a complex issue. Just remind yourself with this question: “What school am I enrolled in?” “What school…" repeat that for yourself… “what school.” For, you see, My Dear Reader, we are all living in some relationship to a learning experience in every moment of our conscious life. And it is at our option that we make ourselves available to “higher learning” or place ourselves in the role of a “Drop Out” (or in countless places of “instruction” between the two.) I have experience with individuals who pursue new vistas of knowledge and understanding constantly… and I , conversely, have personal knowledge of some who have opted to “be content” with what they know in the present. This is your choice to make for yourself… even now.

It is not possible for me to speak to this issue with an objective disattachment. I am one of those for whom each new discovery is but an open window to further insights beyond the presently understood. I was delighted, this week, when a little light-bulb illuminated a corner of my mind where a desire to understand Einstein’s General and Special theories of Relativity has resided for twenty years. This is an ingrained and innate aspect of my basic genetic makeup and temperament… to know “Why?” I know that I have never been more taken aback than I was when presented with “I have noticed that I am becoming a duplicate of that person who I never wanted to be even similar to. But it is a persona that I am familiar with (having grown up with it parenting me)… so I have just decided to accept it and be content.” I was (and am still, all these years after) stunned. Standing there before me was an intelligent, accomplished, and respected person who was declaring to me (and admitting to Self) a willing choice to assume a posture of irresponsibility for their life. To actually state that you are becoming someone… or something… that you do not like… even dislike… and then to sigh a sigh of resignation and acceptance… and quit… is something that I can simply not reconcile with a being a responsibly functioning human being. But I, simultaneously, respect that person’s right to make that choice.

So, Dear Friend, with that bit of a “snapshot” to set a background of perspective, I ask you… “What institution of instruction are you presently (at this very time of opportunity in your life) enrolled in? That is to say... what environment or setting are you working and living in? Who are the “instructors” (the people surrounding you where you live and work) in whom you have entrusted your open and receptive senses? What are the “credentials” that these people who are imparting opinions, views, beliefs, and dispositions to your mind and spirit hold? Are they worthy of your even listening to them? Are they individuals whose personage you desire to emulate and be associated with? What sort of “designation” or image do you aspire to see in the mirror of your self-appraisal at the conclusion of your lifetime? Or, stated differently, what opinion do you want to have of yourself in the future? Are those halls of influence... this setting... these influences touching you each day... flooding your intellect, attitude, and awareness with the illumination of enlightenment… or are you finding your thoughts progressing in deeper and deeper chambers of darkness as you advance in your current curriculum of choice? What is the effect of your life environment on your spirit... right now... positive and uplifting or negative and discouraging or degrading?

As you give consideration to this exposure of your present choices in this… your life-environment… I present the ever-present truth that you ALWAYS have, at your option, a “Transfer With Credit” available to you. You can change your environment as well as the individuals that you permit to have sway over your life without having to discard the valuable life experience that you have gained to this point. You NEVER, EVER, EVER have to “drop out” of your personal enrichment and enhancement curriculum in life. You are never compelled to acquiesce, settle, of accept a “contentment of compromise” by saying "This is what I know and who I am now... so it is thus that I will always and forever be." Please, I implore you, know that all that you have learned, to this very instant, is fully credited toward whatever growing and expanding of yourself you choose to pursue… If you will but apply it. Every element of who you are right now, is an asset that can be capitalized on if you choose to invest yourself in the enrichment and edification of your most valuable of assets... You.

That said, I look forward to your notes and messages telling me of your “commencement” of your next great adventure in learning and growth in an environment... a School, if you will... and with a "faculty" of people who will nurture and encourage your personal development… as I remain, your constantly caring Friend and faithful Servant,

John-Michael



Posted by Picasa IMAGES: through the gracious courtesy of (top 1 image) Jon Sullivan, PDPhoto.org; (3 following images) Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

2 comments:

Sharon Schoepe said...

I view all of life as a learning experience. I think my biggest class right now is learning and accepting that I am ok as I am. That I don't have to change myself to suit others. There are times when the lessons of life are very dark and difficult. But they are often followed by ones that are a real treat.

John-Michael said...

It sounds as if you have chosen to enroll yourself in "Advanced Placement classes." I applaud your responsible and healthy choices. Thank you for sharing your determination.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.