Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Wink



There is something lighthearted … perhaps even bordering on irreverent … in a wink. And I find myself considering (in these times of such overwhelmingly consequential and intensely significant happenings in our world) the delightful escape that is expressed in said ‘wink.’ So, I am spending a few moments with the observations of Others … all centered around a wink. I hope that you, too, find a lighthearted breath and diversion from oppressive ‘Realities’ in this simple reflection.


“Maybe that's what life is... a wink of the eye and winking stars.”
Jack Kerouac

“Wink and shut their apprehensions up.”
John Marston

“There are times when even the most potent governor …
must wink at transgression …
in order to preserve the laws inviolate for the future.”
Herman Melville

“If, after I depart this vale,
you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost,
forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.”
H. L. Mencken

“I know many married men,
I even know a few happily married men,
but I don't know one who wouldn't fall down the first open coal hole
running after the first pretty girl who gave him a wink.”
George Jean Natha


Go ahead! Have a playful WINK at it all.
[smile]

3 comments:

Annette said...

A wink uh?....I catch myself winking all the time at people, more so to the little children and the elderly, I have often wonder what a wink might mean, it can mean so much to a simple "Hello" or in a joke, or when I'm trying to get a parental point across with out my teenagers noticing it, to just a slight flirt...I suppose now I will be more careful when I wink or how I wink, but to you my dear friend it's a "Welcome and of Hello wink" and of course my hug to go along with it * (wink) & () hug. Annette

lime said...

after pondering it i would put a wink almost in the same category as a child skipping. i think it is an impossible thing to do unless there is happiness behind it. now a child skipping happily would be unadulterated by bad motives...that's the only difference i see. a wink will always be a happy thing but there could be happiness in plotting a scheme and getting away with it...though mostly, i prefer to think of the happy, flirty, we share a joyous secret sort of wink that equals skipping.

aims said...

So much to be said in a wink and even in how that wink is given.

Here's winking at you my friend.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.