Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sharing a Moment

Oh my gosh! I am in the midst of “a moment.” And, in the absence of anyone here to share it with… well… isn’t that the domain of the blog? So, I push the STOP button on the VCR and interrupt the playback of the PBS fundraiser recorded as I slept last evening. A repeat of a reunion of “Do Wopp” musicians from the 60’s era is the focus of the program. And these singers and players are presenting their iconographic songs and performances. I am, admittedly, swept away in a tsunami of recollected emotions and feelings as I prepare and enjoy my breakfast to this background of heart stirring memories.

Then, just moments ago, Betty Everett (who has, sadly, passed away since the recording of this program) and Jerry Butler held hands (my favorite form of interpersonal intimacy) and sang “Let It Be Me.” And as they danced a waltz (my favorite form of dance expression) during an interlude in the melody, I danced with them… alone, here in my little 14X14 apartment… and repeated a poem that I wrote many years ago. I then stopped the tape and sat down to the computer to share this moment with you, My Dear Reader. Lest you ever wonder what lives in the most intimate and treasured corners of my Being, I offer these lines from “Let It Be Me” as just sung on this taped performance. And I offer to you (once again) that poem… “The Absence.” Thank you for the indulgence that you grant me by your investment of yourself in reading these.

Let It Be Me

“I bless the day I found you
I want to stay around you
And so I beg you
Let it be me

Don't take this heaven from one
If you must cling to someone
Now and forever
Let it be me”



THE ABSENCE

He walks proudly, as the sovereign of beings,
parading confidence in his very presence.
Seemingly he needs none other than himself… the power exuded in his solitude and might bespeaks no requirement beyond his own strengths.

Yet, with him, each step of the way, is a powerful Absence;
just as real and tangible as any presence.
This Absence has form, size, dimension, breath, warmth, character, and being… and… in its existence, the Absence holds power and authority equal to all held by its host.

Indeed, he is but a fraction of what he is capable of being… with this Absence keeping pace with him… stride for stride.
While all of the necessary equipment is there for him to dominate, control, and enjoy his term as master… he is diluted in his ability to measure up to the illusion… the expectations… by the Absence that denies him the power that would be… in Her Presence.

Her Presence, in displacing the Absence, fills each void of need, desire, inspiration, motivation, fulfillment and joy that serve to energize him toward all that is expected of so grand a creature as he.
Her Presence, in displacing the Absence, makes of him all that the image of him proclaims… provides the substance to support the vision.

Her Presence… but, oh, such a void when it remains the Absence… waiting, hungering, echoing for the filling… when…

“THE TWO SHALL BE AS ONE.”


John-Michael
06Sept1989
Revised: 25Apr2001
Revised: 10Aug2004



Let It Be Me (continued)

“Each time we meet love
I find complete love
Without your sweet love
What would life be

So never leave me lonely
Tell me you love me only
And that you'll always
Let it be me”


Again, I thank you for allowing me this sharing of purely self indulgent expression.

4 comments:

Sharon Schoepe said...

What a magical moment. Thank you for sharing this. I found myself humming the song as I read it. Beautiful

John-Michael said...

And now (at the suggestion) I too am singing it again... so very cool!

Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

Nicely done.
g

John-Michael said...

Thank you g. (I was simultaneously entertained and intrigued by your work on your 3 blogs... You are "persons" that I look forward to knowing better, should the opportunity present itself.)

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.