Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Absence

For many years I struggled with trying to form a coherent image... an understanding... something that I could relate to in expressing the particular need that I was aware of for a specific and uniquely suited woman to complete me as the man that I yearned to be. Then, at lunch in a fast-food restaurant, it came to me. I turned my paper place-mat over and on it penned this expression. I truly hope that it gives language to your spirit as I share with you... The Absence:

He walks proudly, as the sovereign of beings,
parading confidence in his very presence.

Seemingly he needs none other than himself… the power exuded in his solitude and might bespeaks no requirement beyond his own strengths.

Yet, with him, each step of the way, is a powerful Absence;
just as real and tangible as any presence.

This Absence has form, size, dimension, breath, warmth, character, and Being… and… in its existence, the Absence holds power and authority equal to all held by its host.

Indeed, he is but a fraction of what he is capable of being… with this Absence keeping pace with him… stride for stride.

While all of the necessary equipment is there for him to dominate, control, and enjoy his term as master… he is diluted in his ability to measure up to the illusion… the expectations… by the Absence that denies him the power that would be… in her Presence.

Her Presence, in displacing the Absence, fills each void of need, desire, inspiration, motivation, fulfillment and joy that serve to energize him toward all that is expected of so grand a creature as he.

Her Presence, in displacing the Absence, makes of him all that the image of him proclaims… provides the substance to support the vision.

Her Presence… but, oh, such a void when it remains the Absence… waiting, hungering, echoing for the filling… when…

THE TWO SHALL BE AS ONE.


John-Michael
06Sept1989
Revised: 25Apr2001
Revised: 10Aug2004


Posted by Picasa IMAGES through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy for me all the beautiful things
Multicolor rainbows, dappled butterfly wings.
And catch for me all the morening gold
In a great opaque vase:
And cover me from head to toe
In downy white sea lace
And I will give you heaven on earth
And many such intangible things.
If only you will buy for me
A pair of butterflu wings.
TPC1368@AOL.com

Anonymous said...

Allow me to fulfill the void of need, your every waking desire, as my imagination inspires you to be motivated in the grand creature that you are!!! Allow me to fill you with joy with the presence of my being...no more waiting, hungering, aching for the filling when the two of us shall be one! Marry me!
molly_gldnhrt@hotmail.com

This left me flooded with chills. You are an incredibly amazing man!!

John-Michael said...

Dear TPC1368, I would not "buy for you' the wings of the butterfly, for such is never for us to own. But I would ask the Creator of the butterfly to instill the gift of the butterfly's spirit, its perspective, and its sense of beauty and delicate wonder... to enhance and enrichen your personal flight.

John-Michael said...

Dear "molly_gldnhrt", I could never imagine any gift more generous that one's self in marriage... nor could I be more complimented than in the receipt of your kind and gracious response to my soul's expressions. And, alas, I know not who you are!

Anonymous said...

Communication is a problem. "Buying butterfly wings" truly is impossible but feeling as though one is flying on them is to be desired. If one can help create that feeling in another - what greater gift?

John-Michael said...

May we all... each and every one of us... know that joy!

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.