Wednesday, June 21, 2006

When Talking To Yourself... Again

I have, For a very long time, engaged myself in a personal quest to expand my abilities to talk to myself. We all do it, you know (some more enthusiastically than others.) We commonly call it “Thinking.” That is right! Thinking is nothing more than our mind “talking to itself.” Hence, it has occurred to me that my abilities to think are either helped or hindered by the tools, with which I equip myself, for this exercise called thinking. For, don’t you see, our ability to think is limited by only three phenomena. They would be (1) Natural ability, (2) Input, and (3) Language with which to process the input through the natural mechanism.

Now, it is fairly obvious that I can do little to affect my natural mental abilities (other than to enhance through exercise or degrade through atrophy.) But I can darn sure exercise willful control over the input into the mechanism that I know as my mind. And, I can, further, equip that mechanism with more and better “tools” with which to do the processing by my continuous expansion and improvement of my working vocabulary. And I can, even further, have a direct effect on the world that is touched by me by enhancing its environment. This I do through the presentation of expanded concepts and perspectives… while equipping those lives with new vocabulary with which to engage their own thinking processes.

I, therefore, expose you, My Dear Reader, to what I hope are healthy and uplifting viewpoints on meaningful topics that are rarely presented by the world that surrounds us. And, in those presentations, I intentionally employ the vocabulary that I have adopted for my own mind and heart for an elevated inner discourse of the spirit. I may not be able to reach into the far corners of this troubled world, nor, even into the corners of the troubled mind of my next-door neighbor. But I most certainly can (and make every effort to) enhance the working environment of your mind while providing a vocabulary of love, caring, honor, embracing, and respect with which you can be kinder to yourself and all those touched by you.

It is, therefore, with my genuine love, respect, and care for you and that special world that Life has entrusted to your influence, that I bid you “Happy Talking To Yourself.” I say “Let’s surround ourselves with beautiful , majestic, artful, sensitive, engaged, and inspiring 'input'." Then let’s (together… for we are, indeed, in this together!) start using those words of power… "Love" (believe me please, it does become easier [and even enjoyable] with practice)… "Enjoy" (in place of ‘need to’ or ‘must’, or ‘should’… saying ‘I would enjoy___‘.) For it is this active engagement of your conscious awareness… in a willfully pro-active effort… an effort to make your inner and exterior world a better place in which to celebrate life… that you will generate a happier time of life for you and all touched by you.

"Man is made or unmade by [ his will ]. In the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself. He also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace."
William James

Remember…Everything begins with a thought. We have the ultimate control over all that begins, with the way that we think… the quality of our “self talk.“ We have the power to create a better ‘everything’ in our personal world with the simple management of our thinking. I pledge to you, my personal best efforts in uplifting you with my topics of discussion coupled with the language that I use in my presentations. For it has been my living desire to make my world a better place ever since my history teacher (Mr. Tony Jonaitis) told our class in 1962 “If in the short time that you are on this earth, you do not leave it a better place for your having been here… you will have wasted your time.”

We can do this… one moment at a time… one thought at a time… just you wait… just you watch… you will see. And what better purpose could any of us pursue?


Posted by Picasa IMAGES: Neil Jones, Guy Thomas, Peter Meade, BBC

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.