Thursday, June 15, 2006

Before Boarding That Next Bus

I am convinced that life is, indeed, a journey… all about the trip… little to do with the destination. And it is my observation that we manage, through a series of choices, to join ourselves to various “vehicles” for the facilitating of our tour here. There are times when we have an enjoyable travel experience… and others that are not saved in our photo album. All too often... the bus stops... not our choice... not in our control... but it (unhappily) does.
We frequently hear people question the wisdom of their selected traveling companion “How did I make such a choice… wouldn’t my experience have been more satisfactory had I chosen to travel with___”; the mode and/or style of their transporting “this is not the way that I foresaw my life being… I had a different plan.”; and their itinerary “I never would have chosen that… that is his/her idea… I am going along with this to avoid confrontation… I would have preferred something more to my liking… but you know how he/she is.”; and on and on (no… I have not been listening at your door!)

Then, when the “arrangement” falls apart and we “go separate ways” there is the forever… “How could I have made such a stupid choice?! What is wrong with me?! Am I incapable of ever making a good choice in a relationship?!” And, again, we could go on and on… (but I choose to let your own personal voices finish for me [those that you have heard and/or spoken yourself].) I ask you to STOP! Remember… J O U R N E Y. This is a series of progressions and that relationship serves to carry you from where you were to where you are now… there never were any guarantees of “Dream Destination Delivery” (as much as we ALL wanted and believed that we had made that bargain.) As a matter of fact… you (at the onset of each stage of your journey) were not equipped to forecast a definitive image of what your “dream destination” was. That too is a developing concept. (Does the term "Growth Pain" sound familiar?)

So, Dear Friend, how do you deal with the turmoil of recriminations, doubts, guilt, and frustrations that churn within you at this juncture. Here I offer a “tool”… an implement (if you will)… a “device” for your use in managing all of those issues. Think of each stage of your journey as a succession of bus trips… with changes of buses and bus routes as needed to take you each step of the way forward. One bus was, obviously, for Education (some of us are faster “learners” than others while some may require a few bus “transfers.”) Some of the vehicles of our progress we now (usually in 20/20 hindsight) know to have been an Entertainment Tour… replete with glittering lights, music, and (unfortunately) little substance.

The major point of this exercise is to bring you to a realization that there are (regrettably) very, very few “buses” that are chartered for an entire life journey. (Perhaps giving ourselves more of an opportunity to mature in our concepts of personal values PRIOR to boarding would help here.) Many simply “break down” for health or accidental reasons, thereby altering the travel plans of both travelers involved. But none of these considerations are final. None are “the end of the line.” They can be (if accepted in a healthy and constructive way) simply, progressive steps in our individual, personal journey. And as a fellow pilgrim, I am here to encourage you to consider your potentials… your options… your lovely choices from this point in your pilgrimage to some new sights to be seen… vistas to be celebrated… and joys to be claimed.

I speak not from some isolated, disattached promontory from which I survey all the struggles of those below. Oh no… I am right here with you, Dear One, stumbling along right beside you… grasping for an understanding of the moment and its significance… and reaching out to you to lift, push, encourage, and exhort you along with a silly song, a dollop of laughter, and a modicum of helpful insight when available. So, if you want a bit of a respite… ride along with this vintage bus for a while… at least until your blisters and bruises heal… and we will create a few memories worth the keeping… as Friends, Cohorts, and Partners in this beautiful adventure called … LIFE.

Posted by Picasa IMAGES through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is most definetly a journey and I have been on the move since I was a young girl-- still am on the move. I moved from Georgia to Louisiana and back again just recently. Though the Greyhound buses were somewhat comforatble, sleep was not an option during the day.

John-Michael said...

I certainly do relate to your experience(thank God someone encouraged me to carry a really good pillow onto the Greyhound with me... What a life-saver!). Did meet some really neat people while traveling though. Thank you for reaching out, Johnna, you give my heart a smile!

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.