Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Father's Day

Well… It took me until 4:33PM, on this day that we recognize as “Fathers’ Day”, to get myself to the point where I can sit at the keyboard and deliver the thoughts that had me looking through tears as I delivered this morning’s newspapers. The source of the tears? An image. A clear recollection of Dad’s eyes on the occasion of our last exchange between each other.

As some of you already know, Dad died at 3:05PM, Sunday, 05 May 06. But the image that visited me this Fathers’ Day morning was from a moment when I was massaging Dad’s leg to help him deal with a severe pain spasm. We were, with Linda my sister, in a hospital room and Dad had been suffering terribly with those seizures of abdominal pain. To lessen the pain and reassure Dad that he was not alone in his struggle, I employed a technique learned in assisting the mother of my children with her child-deliveries.

As I talked Dad through each spasm and increased the intensity of massage to suit the pain’s demand, Dad looked through the fog of Alzheimer’s power and actually smiled at me in a rare moment of clarity. Though he could not speak, his eyes communicated volumes. Then, as the medications took hold and the intensity of the pain was mitigated, I started to withdraw my hand. Dad grabbed my retreating fingers and squeezed them with a ferocity that demanded attention. Upon looking into his eyes, I saw an eloquence in them that spoke with such clarity that I responded “I know Dad… Me too.” Again, he smiled… a sweet, calm, and tender smile that, in harmony with his gaze, spoke to my soul. “I love you too Daddy… I will be here and see you tomorrow.” He squeezed an acknowledgement… then released my fingers.


That was the last time that Dad and I communicated. And it was that face that visited me this morning. So, why tell you about this? Because my life is dedicated to urgently encouraging you to adopt a life practice of recognizing, respecting, honoring, and communicating your deepest emotions to those to whom that communication will have life-enhancing value. You see, my dad did not know how to do that. He was raised by a father (his Mom died when he was young) who demanded a denial of all emotion (save anger) and had a cruel disdain for sentiment. Dad never learned how to deal with his emotions. It was only in his last couple of years that he slowly allowed himself to respond to my unrelenting expressions of love for him. Culminating with the moment just recounted.

I want more for you, Dear Reader. I want more for those who look to you for instruction in healthy emotional living. I want more for those who have an unceasing hunger for your love and are crippled in their own emotional health by an absence of your assurances of affection. I want this because I lived for sixty years with a dad who had those emotions and sentiments caged within himself and was frustrated and vexed with his inability to release them. Dad would enthusiastically endorse my entreaty to you to take all possible measures to
Know Thy [emotional] Self.


The only thing you take with you when you're gone is what you leave behind.
John Allston

4 comments:

TMLSB said...

Sorry about your loss but that was a great post and a greater message.

My family was similar about saying "I love you," but a couple of years ago my dad had his hip replaced and it hit me that I didn't care if he said it. I needed to say it, and I did.

I also had bypass surgery last fall, and my dad was by my side and he actually said it. Now, I say it every time we get off the phone or he leaves my house. Sometimes he says it and sometimes he doesn't, and that's okay.

Thanks again.

TMLSB

Anonymous said...

Ciao Dad, first of all sorry this late "Happy Father's day", you know here in Italy it has already been.

Anyway as I'm with you in your loss I just become aware that also my dad is like yours...too bad that the strenght to say "I love you" comes only in the "last or difficult" moments..it should be there everyday as you teach, but I think that the value of those last moment-I love you is in a way greater than the everyday one cause it requires so much strenght to break down that wall that keeps emotion unspoken...

John-Michael said...

TMSLB,
Your generous kindness means a lot to me... Thank you. To have that "language of affection" as a normal atmosphere is the best environment for the healthy growth of your beautiful family (yes, I did look at your profile... You, My Dear Friend, are SO blessed!).

John-Michael said...

My darling gift from heaven... I do love the two years that I have been able to celebrate the joy of being your Dad. I am so sorry that your father has yet to learn the blessing of permitting hid affections to be an activre oart of his daily life. We can only hope that your loving example will provide the atmosphere for his development of a healthy emotional life. I love you, My Darling Silvia

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.