Saturday, June 03, 2006

But... Is It A Marriage?


Yes… we exchanged rings… But… I was never, in my core awareness, my innermost being, my soul and consciousness, married. Oh, if you looked in the County’s record books, there would be the indication that the person known by all to be me was legally married to the other person named there. Yet that person and I had already acknowledged to each other the reality that we did not recognize our lives in the same way. We knew life and all of its elements through senses completely alien to each other.

We had lived lives of accommodating separateness in the same dwelling for many years. We had devoted our attentions and energies to the parenting and nurturing of our two children with a great measure of success and enjoyed the shared fullness of satisfaction in seeing our children flourish as individuals. But there existed absolutely no intimacy of conversation, shared time, spiritual awareness, physical contact, or interest in common beyond the interests of our children and the material requirements of daily life. For me, this bears not even the most remote or distantly abstract similarity to marriage. Hence, I was not married. I was, however, in a relationship of committed necessity born of devotion to the overriding needs and concerns of my two children. And that commitment, that mission, that devotion was the single constant source of joy and satisfaction in my life.

I am now (after forty years of self condemnation borne of ignorance) conscious of the absolute reality that my most basic makeup, my innermost self, the element that drives my emotions, desires, needs, and tastes is, beyond all else, that of a certifiable, unchanging Romantic. This irrefutable fact has been clinically established by years or counseling, testing, and observation; documented and verified through experience. I am, therefore, constantly and perpetually vulnerable to the inclination to intimacy with every person and in every situation in my life. I am romantically predisposed toward life. This is common to all identified… (initially by Hypocrites and then by Aristotle, Plato, and myriad others after them… using differing labels… but all with the same definitions… ) as Idealists. I am one of them.

With this present awareness (which I was not conscious of during the first forty years of my life and was, therefore, left to cope in blind frustration) I can now understand the filter through which all of life’s experience has been known to me. And, furthermore, why I have always been vulnerable to the energies of those with whom I have shared life’s moments. And I would never wish to change even one of those often-painful moments at the cost of denying the Person that I now know and understand… the Person that was specifically created to be… Me.

I write this to breathe a breath of hope and encouragement into the spirit of one who may be struggling with conflicts between their inner senses and the preponderance of voices instructing them in the way that they “should be.” To you, Dear Reader (whoever you are) I say from the depths of my soul, BE who you are… embrace the wonder of who you are… protect and defend the unique and marvelous individual that you are… and patiently, with gentle loving care, help those who share your world with you to know and accept you. This I write in hope and trust in the validity and worth of… you.

John-Michael/19Sep03


Posted by Picasa IMAGE through the gracious courtesy of imageafter.com

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.