Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The WOW Factor

My problem is… I have actually met them. When I first saw them, I was stricken with wonder… “They are real!” I thought. Then, to be sure… to confirm the sighting… I spoke to them “Please forgive my intrusion… but I could not help but see that love that you have for each other… it is so very evident that I am compelled to say ‘Thank you for your encouragement… you have lifted my spirit and given me hope.” Then I went my way with a fresh resolve to never settle for anything less than what I had just witnessed.

Granted… there are not many of them. I have, personally, witnessed only six sightings (and four of the six were repeat sightings of two couples.) Who are these extraordinary people? Well… I do not know any of their names. But I will tell you about my observations.

The first was in Naples (don’t get misty-eyed… it is Florida, not Italy.) I was seated at what had become my “favorite table” in my weekly visit to that charming, end-of-the-road little (and obscenely wealthy) community. In my role as the Regional Director of an investment products firm, I made a weekly circuit of the state of Florida, meeting with brokers and financial planners to offer them products that might fit the investment needs of their clients. Hence, I found my way to the restaurant in question for a respite and the necessary completion of paper-work details related to my appointments.

And… there they were. At the cashier… tending to their bill. Easily in their 80’s in years and unmistakably in their 60’s in their relationship… they stood together… he: tall… white-haired… erect and proud, but with a gentle and relaxed demeanor. She: tiny… white-haired… graceful and elegant, with a smooth and easy flowing of movement. They: harmoniously one. They spoke with quiet, nearly-whispered voices, in a comfortable and almost-choreographed rhythm… all the while maintaining a visual connection and thread of unity that was woven with a silent agreement to something akin to a private joke that was known only to them and had been their secret treasure for a very long time. I was mesmerized.

Then they turned and left the restaurant. Well… if you know me at all… you know that I recognized this as one of those potential “If I don’t… I will later wish that I had” moments. So up I stood…
followed them into the parking area… to their car (where slightly concerned glances were sent back toward me) “Please forgive my intrusion, Dear Friends… But I am compelled to take a moment to express my admiration of… my appreciation for… and my encouragement by the obvious harmony and joy that lives in that love that the two of you so clearly share. You have blessed my spirit today and I thank you.” I then quickly turned and took my leave (but not before acknowledging the slight smiles that they exchanged as they thanked me.)

The other two couples I will tell you about some other time… I, obviously, have no desire to abbreviate the telling of these tales to conform to my self-imposed limits on the length of these writings, so I will stop with this one. Ask me sometime, and I will try to recall the McDonald’s Restaurant couple… and the “in my rear-view mirror” couple.

My point, today, is simply this. I have witnessed the reality of long-term excitement and appreciation… with a blend of playful camaraderie… in relationships. The “WOW factor” can and does live on in shared lives… and I will never settle for anything less for myself.


Posted by Picasa IMAGES Through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.