Friday, April 21, 2006

Finding Center

  Posted by Picasa

This is the convergence of two recent trains of thought. The first was expressed in the piece entitled “The Storm” and the second was the thought processes giving rise to “Thanksgiving.” The catalyst to my presenting this ‘convergence’ to you was the response to “The Storm” sent to me by a friend here in The States. Her question, after affirming the legitimacy of the need for concentrating ones focus on being ‘centered’ in life, was simply “OK… now HOW do I go about accomplishing this task of centering myself without shutting out the world about me and the ones for whom I care?”

In answer, I will relate my experience of Sunday, 20 November, just passed. I received a telephone call from a friend who related a phone conversation that had been shared with a party for whom I have not only a biological relationship with but also a tender, intimate, committed, and devoted love. It seems that this party, when asked about the status of current interactions with me, replied “He doesn’t love me any more. He is interested in other things now.” I was devastated at hearing this. Though I understand completely the truths behind those words; the limited capacities of the party to grasp conflicts felt; the influences being exerted on that party; the spirit governing the environment in which that party lives; all of that known by me and acknowledged at the ‘head level’, it pained me to hear it. So I went to bed that night with my mind torn asunder with the combating elements of rage toward the instigators of the lie, compassion for the party who is not capable of sorting out feelings, comments, influences, desires, and emotions due to innate intellectual challenges and handicaps, and frustrations with my inability to remedy the situation due to concerns for putting the party ‘in the middle’ which would only exacerbate that persons already overloaded capacities.

After three hours of tossing and turning with sleep becoming more and more elusive, I got up from my bed with the express intention of taking charge of my mental and emotional processes… that is, becoming centered in a healthy and constructive fashion. The ‘tool’ provided by Life for the accomplishment was a single verse of scripture of which I could only recall a brief portion. I knew that this verse encapsulates the essence of untold numbers of volumes dealing with positive thinking, self-direction, individual responsibility, and myriad other ‘self help’ topics. I attacked my bookshelves, located the verse, wrote it on a piece of paper, recited it out loud and repeatedly, then went back to bed reciting it silently. Every time that my ‘navigator’ for centering (my mind) would try to take me back to the conflicting rage, pain, confusion, doubt, frustration, etc., I would increase the silent ‘volume’ of recitation. I was asleep within ten minutes. The verse in discussion:

“Whatsoever things are true;
Whatsoever things are honest;
Whatsoever things are just;
Whatsoever things are pure;
Whatsoever things are lovely;
Whatsoever things are of good repute;
If there be any virtue;
If there be any praise;
Think on these things.”
Philippians Ch4, V8

Herein rests a potential device for the answering of my friend’s earlier –stated “how to” question. From this recent experience, I can, and do, recommend this point of focus as a workable implement for centering oneself in a mental, emotional, and philosophical point of advantage for accomplishing positive, constructive, and enjoyable life goals.

On the arrival of Monday morning, I again recited this device repeatedly, for myself, and went to work. Later in the day, I sat down at the computer, considered things true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good reputation, virtuous, and praiseworthy… and I wrote the “Thanksgiving” piece in grateful appreciation for all of those whose paths have been directed by the forces and influences of Life to intersect mine.

I don’t believe that I could be any more candid, transparent, intimate or honest with you, Dear Friend, as to how I personally struggle and deal with life’s challenges. I trust that there is, within this accounting, some thread of benefit for you as I remain… Your Friend and Servant, JohnMichael/29 November 2005

IMAGE courtesy NOAA

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.