Thursday, April 13, 2006

We Can Do This

  Posted by Picasa


This is the week that Frank’s spirit set itself free from his weary and worn body. Frank is my friend. We met in the early morning darkness, as I was delivering a newspaper to the lady across the street from his condominium. I was taking my customary care to toss the newspaper either close to the lady’s gate, or, when possible, over the gate. I had noticed that she sometimes didn’t pick the previous day’s paper up, as I delivered the current day’s. So I deduced that she had some physical limitation that made going out to the parking space sometimes-difficult… hence the ‘close to the gate’ ritual.

On the particular day when Frank and I met, I had completed the lady’s delivery and was backing my van out of the parking space when in the corner of my eye I saw movement. Here came an elderly gentleman, shuffling his feet with what was obviously some effort, and doing his best to, simultaneously, wave a “wait” message to me. So, I waited… and waited… and (well, you get the picture.) After what seemed a passable version of ‘forever’ he arrived at the window of the van. When he had established his balance and reclaimed some semblance of normal breathing, he introduced himself and asked me for a favor. “That lady that you deliver the paper to is my daughter. She doesn’t read the paper but has it delivered for me to read. I sometimes have had a difficult time getting out to pick the paper up. And sometimes, you throw it over her gate and I can’t get to it. If you would just throw it out in her parking space, I can get to it there. I would really appreciate that.” Well, you can imagine how I felt. Here I had been laboring under the assumption that I was accommodating someone with physical limitations… when, in fact, I was creating an insurmountable hurdle for this very gracious gentleman.

From that day on, I pulled up into Frank’s parking space and threw his paper just as close to his back door as I could manage to. And while Frank and I never had the opportunity to visit in customary terms, we formed a bond of deep, quality mutual respect. We shared frequent waves and salutes when I made his delivery. He often made a special effort to be at or near his door when I came. And we had infrequent but rich occasions to exchange lingering handshakes flavored with verbal expressions of appreciation for each other. I had the opportunity to give Frank a few “I love you, My Friend.”s and he voiced his, more reserved, sentiments. I was given the gift of assuring this fine and gentle man that he was noticed… that he mattered… that he was admired… that he had worth… that he was loved. I will miss his presence. There is, as of this week, a “Frank shaped hole” in my world.

“So“, you ask “why do you tell me all of this?” I tell you, Dear Reader, because I am frequently presented with statements like “I’m just not like you… I can’t express myself to others the way that you do” or “I am just not comfortable with doing the things or saying the things that you do.” or, “People just won’t understand what I’m doing… or why… like they do with you.” And here is, for your reflection, an illustration of just how easy and simple and uncomplicated it can be for us to touch our world for love. It’s like the words of the old song “You gotta have heart… there’s nothing to it but to do it” . That’s all, My Friend, simply listen… allow yourself to see… take the moment… take the moment… take the moment… (see there, you were already getting impatient with that illustrative repetition… GOTCHA!)

Please believe me… you and I can make a difference in our individual little worlds… with love and willingness, you just wait. You will see. In tiny ways, life will Become more enjoyable and internally rewarding.
Trust me… We Can Do This.

As I remain, Your faithfully loving Servant, John-Michael/ 13 April 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've just started blogging and I wanted to say "thanks" for your story of Frank and the casual ways that we can make a difference! And thanks for doing your blog!

John-Michael said...

No, no, My Friend... I thank you for your investment of a part of your life in a moment with me. I am, indeed, honored and humbled.

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.