Thursday, April 27, 2006

"Un-Nichable"

  Posted by Picasa

I have always had a ‘macro’ awareness… the ‘micro’ stuff of this world is something that I have had little patience with. My constant perception has been in the eternal… the spiritual… the idealistic. Those aspects of daily life dealing with the details of routine and ordinary material business are but fleetingly temporary in my estimation… while spiritual matters involving attitudes, motives, spirit and intent have the quality of permanence to me.

The lessons of scripture (drilled into me from my earliest recollection... and validated by extensive experience) have been more ‘real’ to me than the axioms of this physical world. I now understand my predisposition, by virtue of my innate temperament/personality type, to the idealistic, spatial, and conceptual elements of our existence. The overriding government of all that we are aware of (as well as those things that we have but a hint of) by a guiding and controlling Power has been my central certainty and core conviction.

I have acknowledged and communicated with this Power (with the identity of Lord, God, and Father) all with equal comfort. But I acknowledge the validity of the nomenclature of other faith groups, cultures, and practices that know the same Power by names and identities harmonious with their histories, cultures, and traditions.

The transcending authority of that Power has vested me with a patient tolerance of the inept (at best) or criminal (at worst) government of this thing that we know as ‘time and space’ (our world) with all of its abuses of and disrespect for the diverse customs, politics, faith, and individualities of others. But I do not enjoy living in such unkind environs.

Given these perspectives and predisposed convictions, finding a niche into which I might fit comfortably is an ongoing challenge. I think myself, rather, to be… infinitely and eternally… ‘Un-Nichable.’

IMAGE: Through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFotos.com

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.