Saturday, March 08, 2008

My (annual) Return to a Metaphor for My Life, "My Cafe"

As I sit here…at my table on the sidewalk of this modest little ‘café’ that is my life…I read, I listen, I observe, I feel, I think (a lot), and people pass by.

Occasionally, someone will wave a “Hello” to which I respond appropriately. At some times, an individual will stop by and chat.


There are moments when someone will pass by in traffic and speak through their open window or even pull over for a moment in the temporary “Load/Unload Zone” and visit at greater length. Rarely, a chair will be pulled out and occupied for an extended time and we will speak of deeper and fuller things.

All the while, the world passes by… doing all of the things that need to be done and going to all the places that require going to… while I can be counted on… even want, more than almost anything, to be counted on… to be in my spot for whatever kind of invitation is deemed necessary by whomever deems it so. And I am delighted to be there for each and every one.

What I yearn for is someone to share my table with… permanently. Enjoying the sights, sounds, fragrances, pains, joys, and events that visit our place. Happy to be with me… of me… in me… and never jealous, resentful, or envious of the complete focus that I give as my loving gift to whomever requires a part of me. This I yearn for hourly.

[I note here the fact that this "Revisited" article was originally posted 14April2006. I present it, again, to allow new readers to have this perspective and insight... that they may know me better. JMB]


(IMAGE: Through the gracious courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com)

12 comments:

Cath said...

I was going to try and not be the first comment, but can't resist. I have little else to do but lurk in blogland and I am here a lot of the time. So sorry to be the first to bug you again, but hey! what are friends for?

Just wanted to say as one of your new friends (daughter?) thank you for this post. It looks like my sort of cafe and I am pulling up a chair now as I write. I love people watching, or world watching.

Shrinky said...

We all need someone special to share our table with, I have no doubts whatsoever that the chair sitting opposite you will be occupied very soon (smile).

John-Michael said...

Good Morning Darlin' Cath!

Your presence brings a ray of morning sunlight to my heart ... so "thank you" for being here.

This is how my heart was able to express its feelings about my daily interactions with my world. Your company is (always and forever) welcome and enjoyed.

John-Michael said...

hello there, Sweet Shrinky.

That "Someone Special" is something that I know an unstopping yearning for. Yet, thankfully, have learned to celebrate and thoroughly enjoy all of the marvelous individuals with whom my life is blessed.

Anonymous said...

I sense perhaps a feeling of loneliness in this post. I think we all feel lonely at some point in our lives, even if we have a house full of people to fill our day. My house is constantly full. Even when I am alone.

Crystal xx

lorenzothellama said...

Morning john-michael!
Love the look of your cafe. I would love to share a table with you. I bet we would really get on well!
I go to a little deli here in Poynton and meet up with my friends. It's a lovely place. I will think of you next time I have a coffee there.
Love Lorenzo.

John-Michael said...

Crystal ... Dear, kind, and perceptive One ... Is there ANY sense of Lonely more profoundly felt, than that known in the company of others? You are so right!

John-Michael said...

And a warm "Hello" to you Lorenzo!

I was so intrigued with your mention of "coffee at the Poynton Deli" (your profile), that I googled it yesterday. Alas, no luck. But many maps, photos, and much information about your "corner of the world." Looks lovely! I enjoyed your accounts of your son's adventures, your hikes (straddling the fence), and family background. A delightful insight all in all.

And, I have no doubt, we would get on famously, indeed, at a table and over some extended time of exchanging tales and thoughts.

Misty DawnS said...

You truly deserve that special someone to share your table with, and, trust me friend, that person will be amazingly lucky to have a spot at your table.

John-Michael said...

How I do humbly and quietly appreciate and admire you, Dear Misty Dawn.

You make my heart feel good!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

One of my favorite places to go is a little bagel cafe in my corner of the woods. I so love sitting alone at a table-- first watching people, and then enjoying a good book or a newspaper.

I get to do this again on Thursday. I have had endless people around me all of my life. I cherish my alone time. I probably shouldn't...

Here is to you enjoying the companionship of a special individual today in your corner of the woods!

**cheers!**

John-Michael said...

Thank you Beth ... from around the funny farm to my heart's desire, your toast is heard and embraced as my own.

**cheers!**

(and ... that "shouldn't" ... that word ... I would banish from your vocabulary forever. For, don't you see, a loving and respectful awareness of your spirit's need for that restorative solitude is a gift ... and your healthy and guiltless response a prudent and wise choice. I share this insight as my caring spirit's gift to your lovely spirit.)

Creative Commons License
Unless expressly stated, all original material, of whatever nature, created by J. Michael Brown (John-Michael) and included in this weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.